- Cooking Time: 12-16
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryI have a very picky eater for a daughter. VERY. So in an effort to try and pack some whole grains and protein in to her each day before school, I made over one of our favorite chocolate chip muffin recipes. While the recipe isn't "light" so to speak, I've reduced the fat, replaced white flour with white whole wheat and added in a generous amount of flax seed meal. She feels like she's getting a treat for breakfast and I know she's starting her day off well.
Well, that and I really enjoy them. :)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup light or fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 container fat free vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- 1/3-1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, flax seed meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a large bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients with a mixer.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- The batter will be a bit lumpy due to the sour cream. This is okay.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry, and stir until moist. This is a fairly dry batter, and you may need to add a bit more milk depending on the flour you use, to make sure it is all moist. The batter will be VERY sticky.
- Scoop into greased or lined muffin cups. Makes approx 12 muffins.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes than remove from muffin pan.
- Store in fridge for up to a week. They also freeze well.
Cooking with Sabra
The Vegan Roadie's 5 Ingredient Challenge Cookbook - Season One
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knifeSee More
Job Creator Cowboy Beans
Chicken PosoleSee More