- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c unbleached a-p flour
- 1/3 c plus 3T sugar
- 1t baking powder
- 1/2t baking soda
- 1/2 c butter, diced
- 3t grated orange peel, divided
- 1c miniature SS choc chips
- 2/3 c chilled buttermilk
- 1 L egg yolk
- 1t vanilla extract
- Butter and flour baking sheet. Whisk flour, 1/3 c sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Add butter and 2t orange peel; rub in with fingertips until mix resembles coarse meal. Mix in choc chips. Whisk 2/3 c buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla in small bowl to blend. Add buttermilk mix to dry ingredients; stir w/fork until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball. Press out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/4" thickness. Using 2" heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones. Gather scraps, press out dough, and cut out additional scones. Transfer to baking sheet, spacing 1" apart.
- Preheat oven to 400. Mix remaining 3T sugar w/1t orange peel in small bowl. Brush scones lightly w/buttermilk; sprinkle w/orange-sugar. Bake until scones are crusty on top and tester inserted into centers comes out clean - about 15 minutes (up to 20 minutes if they've been refrigerated). Serve warm or at room temperature.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More