- Cooking Time: 15 - 20
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c unbleached a-p flour
- 1/3 c plus 3T sugar
- 1t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 c butter, diced
- 3t grated orange peel, divided
- 1c miniature SS choc chips
- 2/3 c chilled buttermilk
- 1 L egg yolk
- 1t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Butter and flour baking sheet.
- Whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl.
- Add butter and 2t orange peel; rub in with fingertips until mix resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in choc chips.
- Whisk 2/3 c buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla in small bowl to blend.
- Add buttermilk mix to dry ingredients; stir w/fork until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball.
- Press out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/4" thickness.
- Using 2" heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones.
- Gather scraps, press out dough, and cut out additional scones.
- Transfer to baking sheet, spacing 1" apart.
- Mix remaining 3T sugar w/1t orange peel in small bowl.
- Brush scones lightly w/buttermilk; sprinkle w/orange-sugar.
- Bake until scones are crusty on top and tester inserted into centers comes out clean - about 15 minutes (up to 20 minutes if they've been refrigerated).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Babette's Test Kitchen
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More