- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces chocolate
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10" pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat water and chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, mixing until just incorporated. Then add the coconut.
- Mix the egg whites as if to make meringue, fold 1/3 of them into the batter, then the rest until there are no streaks.
- Pour into your pan and bake for 30 minutes.
NotesThis is the fifth cake I made for my cake year challenge. It was really fun to make, not too fussy but just involving enough!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
MetroCooking DC 2013
Cooking with SabraSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More