- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces chocolate
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10" pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat water and chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, mixing until just incorporated. Then add the coconut.
- Mix the egg whites as if to make meringue, fold 1/3 of them into the batter, then the rest until there are no streaks.
- Pour into your pan and bake for 30 minutes.
NotesThis is the fifth cake I made for my cake year challenge. It was really fun to make, not too fussy but just involving enough!
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More