- Cooking Time: 15 min./batch
- Servings: 66 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add almond extract and red food coloring to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Add coconut to second portion; spread evenly over first layer. Add chocolate syrup to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with foil; freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap loaf and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion widthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
NotesThese yummy striped cookies with a chocolaty twist are easy and fun to make. You can make the dough ahead of time and bake the next day.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More