Chocolate Coffee-Toffee Deliciousness
The cake ingredients are as follows:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa or Hershey's Dutch Processed Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
My mom taught me to gather all of my ingredients and tools before starting a cooking project. She also suggested reading through the directions a couple times. Good idea Mom!
Ingredients for Coffee-Toffee Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners' sugar (a.k.a. powdered sugar)
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
2-3 teaspoons instant coffee granules
Heath Toffee Bits for garnish
Recipe Directions (or Rules according to someone...)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease pan if not using cupcake liners
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in water. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.
3. Bake 13-17 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched. You can also use the wooden pick test. Cool for 5-10 minutes and remove from pan onto cooling rack to finish cooling.
1. Dissolve instant coffee with milk in small bowl and set aside.
2. Cream butter and vanilla.
3. Add confectioners' sugar and mix well on medium speed until combined.
4. Pour coffee mixture into sugar/butter mix.
5. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
6. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with Heath Toffee Bits.
Be sure cupcakes are COMPLETELY cooled before frosting. If they're still warm you'll have a melted frosting mess...delicious yes, but a mess none the less.
Pairs Well With
For my first adventure I wanted to start simple yet yummy. My friend Deanna comes by the house each week for coffee and her dose of Yoda (a.k.a. Baby James). We both enjoy our chocolate so I wanted to make a super moist cake with a delicious frosting.
For the cake I used Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake recipe. I have used this recipe many times before, but never made into cupcakes. I was told that a cake recipe could be used to make cupcakes so I thought I'd give it a whirl!
This is the first of many recipes! Hope you have as much fun making these as I did!