- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 9 oz. thin ginger cookies (Chocolate cookies for Valentine's Day version)
- 2-3/4 oz. dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz. dark chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 Tablespoons cognac
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons superfine sugar
- Garnish for Cake: 1/2 cup whipped cream, Chocolate covered coffee beans, (Cherries or strawberries for Valentine's Day version)
- Place the cookies in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Place the 2-3/4 oz. of chocolate and 1/2 cup of butter in a microwave bowl. Place in microwave and melt them in 15 second increments. Stirring a few times.
- Give the chocolate and butter a final stirring to mix well, then pour over the cookie crumbs and mix together.
- Put this mixture into a 9-inch springform pan and press down to form a base. Place in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Place the 8 oz. dark chocolate in a large microwave safe mixing bowl and melt in 15 second increments. Beat in the mascarpone, egg yolks and brandy.
- Whip the cream until it just holds it shape and fold it into the chocolate mixture.
- Using a grease-free bowl and clean beaters, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and beat until the whites are thick and glossy.
- Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture in two batches, until just mixed.
- Spoon the mixture onto the chilled base and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- To serve: Carefully remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a serving plate. Pipe 12 rosettes of the whipped cream and top each with a chocolate coffee bean. Cut into 12 wedges and serve.
NotesA rich, no bake cake that serves 12. From Debra Fioritto Weber, Your Guide to French Cuisine at about.com
For Velentine's Day variation you could decorate the cake with the whipped cream rosettes and strawberries or cherries. Since chocolate is so loved by all the crust could be made with chocolate cookies(maybe even oreos?)to add more chocolate love.