- Cooking Time: 15 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 24 servings
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes + chilling
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- Pat cherries with paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cherry juice and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Insert a chocolate chip into each maraschino cherry. Wrap a tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip tops of cookies in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on wax paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
NotesI first tasted these cookies during a "cookie swap" at work a few years ago. Now I make them every holiday for our family get-together. People who haven't had them are always delighted by the "hidden treasure" inside.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More