- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 jar maraschino cherries with stems, drained and dried (see Notes)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 ounce paraffin, chopped (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tube red (clear) gel icing
- Before starting, you may wish to take a look at the step-by-step instructions with photos. See link.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed or parchment paper.
- Rinse the maraschino cherries, drain thoroughly, and let dry on paper towels, turning often.
- The cherries must be completely dry or the chocolate will seize and get crumbly.
- Gently melt chocolate, butter, and paraffin in a double boiler until smooth, stirring often to prevent burning. Once melted, turn off heat, but leave in the double-boiler on the burner.
- Dip dry cherries in melted chocolate to completely cover up to the stem.
- Place on lined cookie sheet. Immediately press on chocolate chip, flat side to the front of the dipped cherry, to form a head.
- While chocolate is still warm, wedge two sliced almonds between chocolate chip and cherry to form ears. Let cool.
- Use a toothpick to dab beady red eyes on either side of the chocolate chip with the red gel icing.
- Refrigerate to firmly set chocolate.
- Notes: If fresh sweet cherries are in season, by all means use them.
- Paraffin is sold in the canning supplies section, usually under the brand Gulf Wax.
- You can use the giant chocolate bars for the semisweet chocolate, or semisweet baking squares, or chocolate chips.
- If your cherries are exceptionally large, you may wish to use chocolate kisses for the heads.
NotesThese chocolate-covered cherry mice are fun to create and make an adorable presentation for parties, bake sales, and of course, Halloween. Let the kids help by setting up a production line, and they will have a ball. These candy mice are almost too cute to eat. Check out the step-by-step instructions with photos before you begin.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More