CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY SURPRISE COOKIES
Chocolate Covered Cherry Surprise Cookies
- Cooking Time: 8 to 10 minutes
- Servings: 36 to 48 cookies
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tablespoon saved maraschino cherry juice
- 36-48 maraschino cherries, well drained, reserving liquid (they are best left whole)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
Add egg and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
Add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
Shape dough into 1" balls, using a heaping teaspoon.
Roll in crushed pecans.
Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Make indent in top with thumb and place cherry on top.
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate pieces with condensed milk, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until just smooth.
Frosting stiffens very quickly.
Frost each cookie with about 1 teaspoon frosting, covering the top of cherry and cookie entirely.
Bake 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 1 minute on baking sheet.