- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup white karo syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 7 cups Special K cereal
- Chocolate Topping:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Bring karo syrup and sugar just to a boil in large microwave safe bowl (about 2 minutes on high) The longer it boils the "harder" the candy gets, so if you want it "chewy" just barely boil.
- Add in 2 cups crunchy peanut butter and mix completely with strong (preferably wooden) mixing spoon.
- Put 7 cups Special K cereal in a ziplock bag, seal, and crush to size of rice grains.
- Add Special K to sugar / karo / and peanut butter and mix well with strong mixing spoon.
- Press into 10 1/2" x 15 1/2" baking pan with edges. Spread evenly over the sheet. The mixture will be thick rough and should be "smoothed" and compressed into the pan by using the back side of a large METAL spoon (moistened fequently with water to avoid sticking) in back and forth and diagonal motions across the surface until it is even.
- Gently (barely) melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for ~ 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on 50% power. (check every 30 seconds by stirring with a spoon) When done, the chips will still retain their shape until stirred with a spoon, but should easily blend together as a smooth mixture.
- Pour and spread over top of Peanut Butter Bars with back of the metal spoon. Store in refrigerator. Cut and serve.
- Caution: Addictive
NotesThe early vestiges of this recipe came to me at a Kindergarten "Pitch In" back in 1970's. I've refined it to it's current form over the years. It can be made from start to finish in less than 30 minutes and is always DEVOURED at any gathering for which I've made it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More