- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (optional)
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, vanilla and cream cheese. Stir in powdered sugar to make a workable dough. For best results, use your hands for mixing.
- Divide the dough into four parts. Leave one of the parts plain. To the second part, mix in peanut butter. Mix coconut into the third part and cocoa powder into the last part. Roll each type of dough into egg shapes, and place on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until hard, at least one hour.
- Melt chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth. If the chocolate seems too thick for coating, stir in some of the shortening or oil until it thins. Dip the chillde candy eggs in chocolate and return to the waxed paper lined sheet to set. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour to harden.