- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I use 4 Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate bars)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 9 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus one tablespoon
- 2 cups heavy cream (optional)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- Put chocolate and butter into the top of the double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted (I melted mine in the microwave).
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light yellow in color.
- Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs - this will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate - then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set, the top starts to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, 20 to 25 minutes (mine took 40 minutes!)
- Let stand 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan.
- While the cake is baking, whip the cream until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Serve at room temperature dusted with confectioners' sugar and topped with whipped cream.
- I did not use the whipped cream and sugar. I made a chocolate caramel sauce to pour over it. I am posting that recipe as well.
NotesFlourless Chocolate Cake
This is a Tyler Florence recipe and it is truly chocolatey. It will satisfy the biggest chocoholic you know (maybe that's you!) It's also good for people on a gluten-free diet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More