- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I use 4 Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate bars)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 9 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus one tablespoon
- 2 cups heavy cream (optional)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- Put chocolate and butter into the top of the double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted (I melted mine in the microwave).
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light yellow in color.
- Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs - this will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate - then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set, the top starts to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, 20 to 25 minutes (mine took 40 minutes!)
- Let stand 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan.
- While the cake is baking, whip the cream until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Serve at room temperature dusted with confectioners' sugar and topped with whipped cream.
- I did not use the whipped cream and sugar. I made a chocolate caramel sauce to pour over it. I am posting that recipe as well.
NotesFlourless Chocolate Cake
This is a Tyler Florence recipe and it is truly chocolatey. It will satisfy the biggest chocoholic you know (maybe that's you!) It's also good for people on a gluten-free diet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Gluten-Free and Delicious
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More