- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 Tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 1/3 all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chopped walnuts or Pecans
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease bottoms and sides of 2 (9in) round cake pans, with shortening; lightly flour.
- Heat water, butter, shortening and cocoa in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth; remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Beat in cocoa mixture with electric mixer on low speed, scraping bowl occasonally, until smooth. Beat in sour cream, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to a wire rack.
- Cool completely; about an hour.
- Meanwhile make the Filling and Frosting (recipes to follow)
- After the cake is cool; put Butter Cream Filling on one cake and top with the other cake.
- Frost sides and top with the Chocolate Frosting. Press the nuts on the side of cake.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
NotesThis cake is made for "Special Occasions". It is very rich and a little piece will satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More