- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For crust
- 1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For filling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For topping
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, for dusting
- Make crust:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together crumbs, butter, sugar and cinnamon and press on bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate (1-quart capacity). Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes, and cool on a rack.
- Make filling:
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a 3-quart heavy saucepan until combined well, then add milk in a stream, whisking. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute (filling will be thick).
- Force filling through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in chocolates, butter, and vanilla, stirring until the chocolate and butter is melted. Cover surface of filling with a buttered round of wax paper and cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Spoon filling into crust and chill pie, loosely covered, at least 6 hours.
- Make topping:
- Just before serving, beat cream with sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then spoon on top of pie.
- Place cocoa powder into a fine mesh strainer and sift the powder over the whipped cream. Serve chilled.
- Cooks’ note:
- Pie (without topping) can be chilled up to 1 day.
NotesThe Kitchen Sink - Gourmet
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Italy or Bust
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More