- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips or other desired chopped chocolate
- Pour boiling water over dates in a small bowl. Let sit and cool. Cream shortening, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Add dates and dry ingredients in small batches to shortening mixture. Spread in a 9x13" pan. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until done. Be careful not to overbake or it will be dry.
- Another recipe from grandma. She loved dates and chocolate.