- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips or other desired chopped chocolate
- Pour boiling water over dates in a small bowl. Let sit and cool. Cream shortening, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Add dates and dry ingredients in small batches to shortening mixture. Spread in a 9x13" pan. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until done. Be careful not to overbake or it will be dry.
- Another recipe from grandma. She loved dates and chocolate.
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
My Family Cookbook
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)See More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More