- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips or other desired chopped chocolate
- Pour boiling water over dates in a small bowl. Let sit and cool. Cream shortening, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Add dates and dry ingredients in small batches to shortening mixture. Spread in a 9x13" pan. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until done. Be careful not to overbake or it will be dry.
- Another recipe from grandma. She loved dates and chocolate.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More