- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 36 squares
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup dates,chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter,softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Put dates and first amount of soda in large bowl. Pour boiling water over and stir. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the butter and sugar. Beat until well blended. Stir into date mixture. Measure flour, salt and second amount of baking soda into date mixture and stir together. Scrape into greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Batter will be thin and runny. Cover with topping before baking.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar,packed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Stir all together in bowl first, then sprinkle over the batter in pan. Bake in 350 F. oven for 50 minutes or until it tests done with toothpick. Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
- More recipes found at: www.havefunbaking.com
- And also at: www.lovetobakeandcook.blogspot.com
NotesThis is an outstanding chocolate square. It is moist,keeps well and freezes nicely, great to have on hand. I love dates and I am always on the lookout for recipes using dates. This one was given to be by a friend and it is very good.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
A Falcon FeastSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More