- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 30 Macaroons
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake meal (for Passover) or flour
- 6 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, salt, vanilla and coconut. Stir until well combined. Stir in the cake meal or flour. Cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring constantly. The mixture will become thickened and then begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Be careful not to let it burn. This will take between 8 and 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool to room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil. With wet hands, shape 1 teaspoon sized balls of the dough and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a rack.
- In a double boiler or over a pan of simmering water, melt 6 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate. For best results, the chocolate should be tempered (see website article on tempering). Dip the macaroons one at a time in the melted chocolate and place on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet until the coating hardens. If you are not tempering the chocolate, refrigerate the cookies to harden the chocolate.
NotesThis recipe can easily be converted for use on Passover. These cookies are so delicious and easy to make year round.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More