- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 36 servings
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, oats and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into 1/2-in.-wide logs. Cut into 2-in. pieces. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until set and very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and milk; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Roll in walnuts. Place on waxed paper until set.
NotesFor as long as I can remember, these fancy little maple logs have been a Christmas tradition at our house. My siblings loved working the assembly line and dipping the ends in chocolate.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More