- Cooking Time: 50
- Preparation Time:
Backstory“Let me see…why is Santa so happy to park his reindeer and use our home as a stopover on Christmas Eve?”
Let’s start with the goodies we have waiting for him: a snifter of rum spiked Egg Nog dusted with freshly grated nutmeg, and a gorgeous assortment of homemade Biscotti!
Here Santa enjoys his annual treat of Chocolate drizzled Lemon and Almond Biscotti, Berry Almond Biscotti, and Ginger – White Chocolate .
- For Biscotti:
- 2 C flour
- ¾ C cornmeal
- 1.5 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- In another bowl, beat:
- 1 C sugar
- 3 eggs
- Add zest of 3-4 Lemons,
- ¾ C chopped whole almonds
- Chocolate Glaze:
- 6 ounces of dark or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then whisk together: Flour, Cornmeal, Baking Powder, Salt.
- In another bowl, beat: Sugar, Eggs, Lemon Zest. After mixture is pale yellow and blended, stir in Almonds and dry ingredients and let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts, and with moistened hands roll the dough into log shapes about 3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until light golden, and cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, slice ¾ inch diagonal slices. Place slices on baking sheet, return to oven for additional 15 minutes, or until pale golden. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In a double boiler, melt 6 ounces of dark or bittersweet chocolate with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Using a large tablespoon, liberally drizzle the chocolate on the biscotti, leaving exposed areas. Cool completely in refrigerator.
- Recipe yields about two dozen biscotti. Will keep for several weeks in an airtight container, great for gift giving!