Chocolate Fairy Cakes
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is from a "foods of London" cookbook, although I've made a few changes (the original recipe produced rather dense, heavy cakes).
Ingredients You'll Need
2 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup whole milk
1 cup + 2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp finely ground espresso
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
FOR THE ICING:
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tsp light corn syrup or golden syrup
finely grated white chocolate
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease or line mini-muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate, milk, and half the brown sugar. Set over low heat and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the ground espresso. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Add to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the cooled chocolate mixture. Divide the batter among the mini-muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes.
- To make the icing, combine the butter, chocolate, and corn syrup in a saucepan on low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Set aside until cool. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until it forms a thick, fluffy icing.
- Spread the top of each cake with a thick layer of icing. Garnish with white chocolate.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Dessert