- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c. superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 c. cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. instant coffee crystals (optional)
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the frosting, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- The mixture might look grainy or sandy and this is fine.
- Whisk the cream and instant coffee into the cocoa mixture and cook over low heat, while stirring to dissolve the sugar grains.
- The mixture should get hot to the touch but never simmer or boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Let cool until the frosting thickens an becomes spreadable, about 1 hour.
- If it seems too thin, stir in some powdered sugar.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tins. Spread the frosting on the tops of the cupcakes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
DIY Tasty Gift Ideas
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More