- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 11 fluid ounces chocolate syrup (recommended: Hershey's)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- For the ganache:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Spray a 8 inch cake pan with non-stick baking spray. Then line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper as well. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat, or the cake will be tough.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don't overbake! Let the cake cool thoroughly in the pan.
- For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour ganache evenly over top, making sure to cover the entire cake and the sides. Do not refrigerate the cake.