- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 11 fluid ounces chocolate syrup (recommended: Hershey's)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- For the ganache:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces good semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Spray a 8 inch cake pan with non-stick baking spray. Then line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper as well. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat, or the cake will be tough.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Don't overbake! Let the cake cool thoroughly in the pan.
- For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour ganache evenly over top, making sure to cover the entire cake and the sides. Do not refrigerate the cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More