- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature ( 4 oz)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfered mild molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
- 7 ounces best quality bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and fresh ginger on medium speed until lightened, about 3 minutes. Add brown sugar, beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn onto plastic wrap. Pat out to a 1 inch thickness; seal with wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Cookies are best the day they are made, but can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 5 days.
- Instead of rolling into balls I used a small cookie scoop and then dredged the cookies in sugar before placing in the cookie sheet.
NotesI made these for a neighborhood party a few weeks back. They turned out so well that I made another batch that same week.
These turn out moist and chewy inside with just a slightly crisp outside.
This is an adapted recipe from a Martha Stewart book. I omitted and changed a few ingredients to my liking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More