- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus 8 more tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus additional butter, for greasing pan
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg, plus 2 eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I omitted this)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick melted butter, and stir until well blended.
- Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar.
- Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed.
- Slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth.
- Stir in nuts with a rubber spatula.
- Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking.
- Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.
- I baked it for 40 minutes and it came out wonderful.
- They are more like brownies than a cake, and the are gooey just like the name says!