- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup stout (or Guinness)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1oz shot of stout or Guinness
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9" springform pan with butter and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- 2. In a large saucepan, mix together the butter and beer, cooking over medium-high heat until the butter has melted. Add the cocoa powder and sugars, and whisk together. Take off the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined. Add the butter mixture and whisk together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly whisk the flour mixture into the butter mixture until it comes together.
- 4. Pour the batter into the springform pan and give the pan a few taps on the countertop to shake out any air pockets. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edge to separate the cake from the pan and remove the ring from the springform pan.
- 5. Mix together the ingredients for the icing until smooth and uniform. Spread over the top of the cooled cake.
NotesFor a particularly interesting serving idea, pour the batter into Guinness pint glasses (fill via pastry bag). Fill about 3/4 of way full, and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool fully. Add a splash of Guinness (or stout) to the icing and fill the glasses the rest of the way up with icing. You'll end up with a cake that looks like a freshly poured pint of Guinness, and it will certainly be delicious! Just make sure you have long spoons to get to the bottom!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with Sabra
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More