- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 62% cocoa), finely chopped
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Line the bottom with a parchment round and butter the parchment. (If you're using a pan with a removable bottom like a springform, make sure to wrap the pan with 2 or 3 layers of foil.)
- Place chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir butter, sugar and coffee until the butter is melted and mixture is boiling.
- Pour the hot mixture over your chopped chocolate.
- Let stand for 1 minute then gently stir until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs vigorously until blended.
- Whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- Slowly add about 3/4 cup hot chocolate mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly. (Tempering the eggs with a little bit of the hot chocolate mixture will prevent "scrambled eggs" when combining the two mixtures.)
- Add the egg mixture to the hot chocolate mixture and whisk to combine well.
- Strain the batter through a sieve (to catch any cooked egg bits) and then pour batter into prepared pan.
- Set cake pan in a large roasting pan and fill the pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the center is shiny and set but still a bit jiggly.
- Transfer cake pan to a cooling rack and cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Place a cardboard round on top of the pan and invert the cake onto it.
- Remove pan and carefully remove the parchment paper.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before glazing with chocolate glaze.
NotesFrom Tish Boyle's The Cake Book
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More