- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 62% cocoa), finely chopped
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Line the bottom with a parchment round and butter the parchment. (If you're using a pan with a removable bottom like a springform, make sure to wrap the pan with 2 or 3 layers of foil.)
- Place chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir butter, sugar and coffee until the butter is melted and mixture is boiling.
- Pour the hot mixture over your chopped chocolate.
- Let stand for 1 minute then gently stir until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs vigorously until blended.
- Whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- Slowly add about 3/4 cup hot chocolate mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly. (Tempering the eggs with a little bit of the hot chocolate mixture will prevent "scrambled eggs" when combining the two mixtures.)
- Add the egg mixture to the hot chocolate mixture and whisk to combine well.
- Strain the batter through a sieve (to catch any cooked egg bits) and then pour batter into prepared pan.
- Set cake pan in a large roasting pan and fill the pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the center is shiny and set but still a bit jiggly.
- Transfer cake pan to a cooling rack and cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Place a cardboard round on top of the pan and invert the cake onto it.
- Remove pan and carefully remove the parchment paper.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before glazing with chocolate glaze.
NotesFrom Tish Boyle's The Cake Book
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Lau Family Recipes
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More