- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 pint-sized wide mouth canning jars
- 1 stick plus 3 T. unsalted butter
- 3 C. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 C. applesauce, unsweetened
- 3 C. flour
- 3/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- Prewash canning jars (be sure to use the kind that have no shoulders) in hot, soapy water. Rinse well, dry and let them come to room
- Grease insides of jar well.
- Beat together butter and half of sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and remaining sugar, vanilla and applesauce.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the applesauce mixture a little at a time: beat well after each addition.
- Pour one cup of batter into each jar and carefully remove any batter from the rims.
- Place jars in a preheated 325 degree
- oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- While cakes are baking, bring a
- saucepan of water to a boil and carefull add jar lids. Remove pan from heat and keep lids hot until ready to use.
- When the cakes have finished baking, remove jars from oven.
- Make sure jar rims are clean. (If they're not, jars will not seal correctly).
- Place lids on jars, and screw rings on tightly. Jars will seal as they cool.
- Cakes will slide right out when ready to serve.
- Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks.
- Sealed jars may be stored with other canned food or placed in a freezer.
- The cake is safe to eat as long as the jar remains vacuum sealed and free from mold. To enjoy the best flavor, try to eat all canned cakes within 6 months.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More