- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup boiling water or hot coffee (coffee is better)
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 & 2/3 cup flour
- 2 to 3 Tblsp. Chopped pecans or walnuts (you could probably make the cake successfully without the nuts)
- Raspberry jam for between the layers
- Kahlua for between the layers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray two 9" round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Do not skip this step or you will not get the cake out of the pan in one piece. Sprinkle chopped nuts and a little sugar (1 tsp.) on the bottom.
- Mix together coffee, cocoa and Kahlua in a separate bowl.
- Cream together butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Add eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in the flour in three parts, alternating with the coffee mixture.
- Put the batter in the cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- Brush top of first layer with kahlua, spread raspberry jam on top of the layer. Spread Kahlua frosting on top of jam.
- Put second layer on top. Brush with kahlua. Frost sides, then top, with kahlua frosting.
NotesThis recipe was developed by my mother and is my favorite. I ask for it every year for my birthday and have made it several times for other special occasions. You must enjoy chocolate to like this cake. If you love chocolate like I do, you will love this cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mom's Cooking Secrets
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Koken met OmaSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More