- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 3 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Have a pot of boiling water ready.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the cream until small bubbles form around the edges of the pan, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted and blended. Cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick ribbons fall from the whisk, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the warm chocolate/cream mixture, then stir in the vanilla.
- Line a 3-inch deep baking pan with a kitchen towel and place four 6-ounce ramekins or dessert cups in the pan.
- Pour the chocolate mixture through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl. Divide the chocolate mixture among the ramekins.
- Add the boiling water to fill the pan halfway up the sides of the ramekins and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake until the custards are just set around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Just before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar evenly over the surface of each custard.
- Using a kitchen torch, move the flame continuously in small circles over the surface until the sugar bubbles and just begins to turn golden, 20 to 30 seconds per custard.
- Garnish with a few raspberries, a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More