- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 20 large marshmallows
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt shortening and chocolate.
- Add water; cool slightly.
- Combine melted chocolate with sugar and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add to batter and mix until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 13-in x 9-in x 2-in baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Place marshmallows evenly on cake; bake for 5 minutes moe. Cool.
NotesI've made this favorite cake for many co-workers' birthdays. It is moist, chocolaty and the marshmallows are like an additional treat. If the marshmallows seem to be rolling around on the cake, smash them lightly between your palms then place on the cake. After melting marshmallows, I flatten them slightly with a large spoon. I also add extra milk to make the frosting pourable; otherwise, it is too hard to frost the marshmallows and cake.
Source: Sweet & Scrumptious Chocolate
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
MetroCooking DC 2013
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More