- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1cup white sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 eggs, at room-temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325F; have ready a buttered 8-inch square glass cake pan.
- Prepare the brownies.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and bring it to just below a boil; have the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl--pour the hot butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Sift in the sugar and cocoa powder (I do this through a sieve, not with a sifter).
- With a wooden spoon, beat in the mascarpone, eggs (30 minutes on the counter brings them to room temperature) and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Gently fold the flour and salt into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly--this is important since, if the batter isn't spread evenly, it won't bake evenly.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean (45 minutes did it for me).
- Place pan on a cooling rack and let brownies cool for 10 to 15 minutes, while you now make the ganache.
- Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl; in a small saucepan, bring the cream and the butter to just below the boiling point, over medium heat.
- Pour this hot cream-butter mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth; ganache is now ready to use and can be spread over the brownies.
- Should you wish to wait a bit, make sure the ganache is warm when you spread over the brownies, as it does firm up which makes spreading hard to do.
- Don't cut into the brownies until ganache has firmed up; I find it best to put the brownies into the fridge to speed this along; once the ganache is firm the brownies do not need to be kept in the fridge, though.
NotesI love the decadence of these brownies. Yummy, and sure to impress your biggest critics.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More