- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 120
- Mint Ice Cream
- 1.5 C whole milk
- 2.75 C cream, divided
- 10 fresh mint leaves, crushed
- .75 C white sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- .5 C unsalted butter, at room temperature
- .5 C brown sugar
- .24 C white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C unbleached all-purpose flour
- .25 C cocoa powder
- .5 teaspoon baking powder
- .25 teaspoon baking soda
- .13 teaspoon salt
- 1 C bittersweet chocolate chips
- Ice cream:
- Scald milk and add mint leaves. Let steep five minutes.
- Add half of the cream.
- Bring mixture to a simmer. Do not allow to boil.
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar into egg yolks until mixture is very smooth and light yellow in color.
- Slowly whisk simmering milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Return to heat and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add remaining cream, and pass through a strainer to remove mint leaves and any cooked bits of egg.
- Chill overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Freeze churned ice cream over night again before making sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and prepare two baking pans.
- Cream butter and sugars until fluffy and light.
- Beat in vanilla and egg. Scrape down beater and sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoonsful of batter onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake on center oven rack 8 – 10 minutes, or until the centers of the cookies are still soft, but the edges are well set.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Assembling Sandwiches:
- Scoop out an ice cream puck roughly the same diameter as your cookies, and as thick as you please.
- Place ice cream puck between cookie bottoms and smush the sandwich gently between your palms.
- Return sandwiches to the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes before serving.
- If making well in advance, wrap individual sandwiches in plastic wrap before re-freezing.
NotesPretty simple delicious homemade-from-scratch ice cream sandwiches! Who wouldn't want to share?!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More