- Cooking Time: 5 min./batch + freezing
- Servings: 72 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT FILLING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Shape in two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and extracts until smooth. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. Place a ball in the center of each cookie; flatten. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Dip cookies in melted candy coating to completely cover; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set
NotesI came up with this recipe a few years ago and have shared it with many people. I would often snack on these treats after my baby's middle-of-the-night feeding.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More