Chocolate Mocha Roll
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sugar (divided)
½ cup flour
¼ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 box powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Separate eggs, put whites in a large bowl and yolks in a small one.
3. Add vanilla to egg whites and beat with mixer to soft peaks then gradually add ½-cup sugar; beat until stiff.
4. Beat yolks until lemony and thick then gradually beat in ¼-cup sugar; fold yolks into egg whites.
5. In a large cup, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; fold into egg mixture.
6. Grease and flour a 15” x 10” jellyroll pan; spread mixture evenly on jellyroll pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes (test for doneness).
7. Spread a towel on the table and cover thoroughly with powdered sugar; turn out cake immediately onto towel and roll up cake and towel together (starting at narrow end).
8. Place on a rack to cool well.
1½ cups milk
¾ cup sugar
⅓ cup flour
4 teaspoons instant coffee
1 egg, slightly beaten
1½ tablespoons butter
1½ tablespoons vanilla
¾ cup pecans, chopped
1. Combine milk, sugar, flour, coffee, and salt in a saucepan; cook over low-medium heat to thicken, stirring constantly (gets lumpy easily).
- 4 -
Mom’s VVG+ Dessert Recipes
2. Remove pan from heat and add about one-half of the mixture to the slightly beaten egg yolk; blend well.
3. Add egg yolk mixture to pan and heat 1 minute.
4. Remove pan from heat and add the butter, vanilla, and pecans; cover well with plastic wrap and cool.
5. Unroll cake and spread with filling; re-roll carefully and place on oblong platter.
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, slivered
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine water, sugar, cornstarch, chocolate, and salt in a saucepan; cook over low-medium heat until it just begins to thicken.
2. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
3. While still hot, pour about one-half to two-thirds of the glaze over the top and sides of the cake roll; chill several hours.
4. Before serving, warm the remainder of the glaze and spoon over individual pieces on plates.