- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 1 or 12 normal
- Preparation Time: 30
- 7 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter
- 7 eggs separated
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/8 t cream of tartar
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 c sugar until very light and fluffy
- Gradually beat in warm chocolate mixture and butter
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form and add remaining 1/4 c sugar, 1 T at a time,
- Continue beating until stiff
- Fold egg whites carefully into chocolate mixture
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into an ungreased 9”x3” springform pan
- Reserve remaining batter
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes
- The cake will drop as it cools.
- Spread refrigerated batter on top of cake
- Whip cream and spread on top of cake.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
NotesWe loved this cake so much that on our birthday we were allowed to do withit whatever we wanted (of course we always shared!)
The amount of cake baked has been a source of debate for many years, and now that I make it on my own, I like more of it uncooked than cooked. It can also be simply refrigerated instead of frozen.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More