- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
- 1 tspn. instant espresso powder
- 5 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. brandy or cognac
- 2 large eggs , separated
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup heavy cream , plus 2 additional tbsp.
- Melt chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso powder, water, and brandy in medium heatproof bowl set over saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and salt in medium bowl until mixture lightens in color and thickens slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Pour melted chocolate into egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Let cool until just warmer than room temperature, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-low speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, about 1 minute. Detach whisk and bowl from mixer and whisk last few strokes by hand, making sure to scrape any unbeaten whites from bottom of bowl.
- Using whisk, stir about one-quarter of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it; gently fold in remaining egg whites with rubber spatula until a few white streaks remain.
- In now-empty bowl, whip heavy cream at medium speed until it begins to thicken, about 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, about 15 seconds more.
- Using rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into mousse until no white streaks remain.
- Spoon into 6 to 8 individual serving dishes or goblets.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set and firm, at least 2 hours. (The mousse may be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
A Falcon Feast
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More