- Cooking Time: 34
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) devil's food
- cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped chocolate-covered peanut butter cups (about 8 ounces), plus more to garnish (i used twice as much!)
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch( i used 6- inch and made a few cupcakes insteaad) round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line with waxed paper; coat paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high; beat for 2 minutes, scraping down side of the bowl after 1 minute. Fold in 2 cups of the chopped peanut butter cups.
- 3. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 34 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let layers cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto wire racks and cool completely.
- 4. Place chopped dark chocolate in a medium-size bowl. Bring cream just to a boil and pour over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate melts. Add peanut butter and whisk until smooth.
- 5. Trim top of cake layers flat with a serrated knife. Put 1 cake layer on cooling rack and place on a baking sheet. Pour 1 cup frosting on top; spread evenly with a spatula. Top with remaining cake layer. Pour remaining frosting over the top, allowing it to spill over the sides. Smooth top and sides with spatula. Refrigerate 1 hour to set.( i couldn't wait that long- it still turned out great!) Transfer cake to serving plate and garnish with chopped candy, if desired.
NotesI found this recipe on bakerella.com and I just had to try it. I came out better that I expected. It was so good! You will need plenty of milk for this! :)