CHOCOLATE PIE COOKIES
- 1 Package Puff Pastry - defrost and cut in 2" squares (can also be cut in 1" or 1.5" squares - adjust amount of pudding per square)
- Chocolate Pudding:
- (You can use any pudding recipe, including canned)
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature (cut into small pieces)
- Optional - finely chopped nuts to sprinkle on top.
In a large stainless steel (heatproof) bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.
Then whisk in 1/2 cup of the milk until you have a thick paste.
Add the egg yolks, one at a time, whisking to blend into the cocoa paste mixture.
Set aside while you heat the milk and cream.
Have a fine medium-sized strainer and bowl ready near the stove so you can strain the pudding after it is cooked.
Pour the remaining 2 cups (480 ml) milk with the creaminto a pan.
Bring this mixture just to a boil and then remove from heat. (The milk will foam up to the top of pan when done, so watch carefully.)
Gradually pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the pudding mixture to a clean large, heavy bottomed saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of mayonnaise (about 3 - 5 minutes).
Remove from heat and pour through the strainer to remove any lumps that may have formed during cooking.
Add the finely chopped chocolate, vanilla extract, and butter, stirring gently with a rubber spatula until the mixture is smooth.
Pour into a bowl, press plastic wrap onto the surface of the warm pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
Chill completely before making cookies.
Put pudding in piping bag with large tip. On each 2' pastry square swirl about 2 Tablespoons of pudding in the middle.(or drop from Tablespoon)
Bake on Reynolds parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake @ 400 - about 12 minutes. Cool on rack and serve.