- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, sugar and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add chocolate, whisking until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. Then, in a slow, steady stream, add the chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Divide the mixture among six small ramekins or 6-ounce custard cups.
- Place them in a large casserole or high-sided baking dish.
- Pour cold water into the casserole dish so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins or custard cups.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil.
- Bake on the center oven rack for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the custards jiggle slightly in the center.
- With tongs, transfer custards to a rack to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Serve cool.
NotesAdapted from "The Balthazar Cookbook," by Keith McNally, Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson (Clarkson Potter, 2003).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Paul's Food World Volume 1
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Nick's PicksSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More