- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI was looking for a simple dessert for a 4th of July dinner we were hosting and didn’t want to turn on the oven during the hot weather. I found this recipe in a crockpot cookbook and it ended up being the hit of the meal. I have used it just a few times since and it continues to get rave reviews. The best part is it is easy to put together and the crockpot does all the work, allowing me plenty of time to get the rest of the meal put together and have a warm chocolate cake ready to go.
- 18 ½-oz. pkg. chocolate cake mix
- 3.9-oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups (16oz.) sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
- Whipped cream, or ice cream, optional
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, water, and oil in electric mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low 6-7 hours, or on High 3-4 hours, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.