- Cooking Time: 30-40 mins
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 30 mins to 1 hour
- 200g/7oz butter, softened
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 140g/5oz plain flour
- 60g/2.5oz cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Cadbury's flakes
- FOR THE BUTTER CREAM
- 250g/9oz butter, softened
- 500g/1lb 2oz icing sugar
- 100g/3.5oz good dark chocolate (at least 70 per cent cocoa solids), melted and slightly cooled
- FOR THE DECORATION
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180/C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm/8in round deep cake tin with butter and line with baking paper.
- 2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until they begin to go pale. Add half of the eggs and half of the flour and mic well. Add the rest of the eggs, flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and beat for a minute or two until the mixture is uniform. Dollop into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
- 3. Meanwhile, make the buttercream: put the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk together until the mixture goes fluffy. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and whisk for a further two minutes.
- 4. Once the cake is completely cool, remove it from the tin. Carefully cut the top flat with a large serrated knife.
- 5. Turn the care upside down on a 20cm/8in cake board so that the bottom now becomes a nice flat top. Split the cake horizontally and sandwich the top and bottom together with a 1cm layer of buttercream.
- 6. Spread half of the remaining buttercream all over the top and sides of the cake, making it as smooth as possible. Put it in the fridge to set before going another layer - this makes it much easier to get neat squared off edges.
- 7. Break the Flakes into small uneven pieces and gently press into the side on the cake until the circumference of the cake is covered.
- 8. Finally, cover the top of the cake with fresh raspberries.
NotesA delicious light chocolate cake with fresh raspberries
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
The Blue Family Favorites<3
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More