CHOCOLATE SAUERKRAUT CAKE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- For the Glaze:
- 4 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put the sauerkraut in a bowl of cold water. Squeeze it out with your hands a few times and drain. Do not squeeze all the moisture out. Chop the sauerkraut into fine pieces.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the vanilla. Slowly add the egg mixture to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Add half the cocoa/flour mixture. Beat until well combined. Add the milk. Add the remaining cocoa/flour mixture. Finally add in the chopped sauerkraut.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean and the cake begins to come from the sides of the pan. Cool completely on a rack. Invert onto serving plate when thoroughly cooled.
- To Make the Glaze
- Combine the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until thoroughly melted and combined. When the sauce is cooled to room temperature and is still pourable, glaze the entire cake or by piece.
NotesThe addition of sauerkraut to this cocoa-based chocolate cake provides an attractive texture, especially when made in a bundt pan. The flavor of the sauerkraut is undetectable. Top with this easy glaze for a delicious, everyday cake.