- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup/250 ml whole milk
- 1/3 cup/35 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup/70 g plus 1/4 cup/55 g granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon/about 10 g all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons/6 g cornstarch (corn flour)
- 2 teaspoons/9 g unsalted butter
- Additional unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 5 large egg whites
- 3 ounces/90 g coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- To make the chocolate base: Whisk the milk and 1/3 cup/35 g of the cocoa powder in a heavy based medium saucepan. Bring the chocolate milk to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, using a whisk, beat the egg yolks and 1/3 cup/70 g of granulated sugar in a large bowl for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thick and light. Whisk in the flour and cornstarch to blend.
- Gradually pour the simmering chocolate milk over the egg yolk mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour the chocolate custard back into the same saucepan.
- Over a medium to low heat, continually whisk the custard for 4 minutes, or until it thickens and bubbles just begin to burst through the top of the custard. Transfer the custard to a clean mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the custard on high speed for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it is thick and smooth and cools slightly. Cover the chocolate base with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- To finish the souffle:Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Coat six 6-ounce/170-ml souffle dishes with butter and dust with cocoa powder to coat lightly. Tap out any excess cocoa.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and remaining 1/4 cup/55 g of granulated sugar in a large bowl just until medium stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of the egg white mixture into the chocolate base (this will help lighten the base). Gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon enough of the mixture into the prepared souffle cups to fill the cups halfway. Place the chopped chocolate in the center of each souffle, dividing equally. Cover with the remaining souffle mixture.
- Place the souffle© dishes on a heavy large baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes or until souffles have risen about 1 inch/2 1/2 cm above the dishes. Dust the souffles with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Lau Family RecipesSee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More