- Cooking Time: 35
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups stout (such as Guinness)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter three 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- Line with parchment paper. Butter paper. (for the cake pictured, I used a 9x13 pan and make cupcakes with the leftover batter.)
- Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
- Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
- Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed.
- Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Divide batter equally among prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.
NotesI frosted mine with Mousseline Buttercream from The Cake Bible. I flavored the buttercream with white chocolate and decorated with sprinkles. This is my favorite birthday cake!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Eats!See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More