- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (recommended: Duncan Hines)
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- 2 cups fudge sauce, recipe follows, or 1 (16-ounce) jar fudge sauce
- 3 chocolate covered toffee candy bars, broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream whipped and sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar
- Prepare the cake according to the package directions for a 9 by 13-inch cake. Cool thoroughly.
- Prick the entire top of the cake with a fork. Pour coffee liqueur over the cake and allow it to soak in. Wrap the cake with plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Slice the cake into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Line the bottom of a large glass bowl with a single layer of cake. Pour 1/4 of the fudge sauce over the cake, top with 1/4 of the candy bar-bits then 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat layering 2 more times ending with fudge sauce and candy bits. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cook's Note: Assemble the trifle shortly before serving or it will get soggy.
- Hot Fudge Sauce:
- 1 (4-ounce) bar German chocolate
- 1/2-ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- To make the sauce: Melt the German chocolate with the butter in a saucepan over very low heat. Stir in the powdered sugar, alternating with evaporated milk and blending well. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer until the mixture becomes thick and creamy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
NotesPaula Dean- Food Network
A Happy Life Cookbook : Recipes for a Healthy Life
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More