- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (recommended: Duncan Hines)
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- 2 cups fudge sauce, recipe follows, or 1 (16-ounce) jar fudge sauce
- 3 chocolate covered toffee candy bars, broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream whipped and sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar
- Prepare the cake according to the package directions for a 9 by 13-inch cake. Cool thoroughly.
- Prick the entire top of the cake with a fork. Pour coffee liqueur over the cake and allow it to soak in. Wrap the cake with plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Slice the cake into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Line the bottom of a large glass bowl with a single layer of cake. Pour 1/4 of the fudge sauce over the cake, top with 1/4 of the candy bar-bits then 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat layering 2 more times ending with fudge sauce and candy bits. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cook's Note: Assemble the trifle shortly before serving or it will get soggy.
- Hot Fudge Sauce:
- 1 (4-ounce) bar German chocolate
- 1/2-ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- To make the sauce: Melt the German chocolate with the butter in a saucepan over very low heat. Stir in the powdered sugar, alternating with evaporated milk and blending well. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer until the mixture becomes thick and creamy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
NotesPaula Dean- Food Network