Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes
• ¼ pound (4 ounces) of unsalted (room temperature) butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup flour
• 5 large eggs
• 9 fluid ounces of your favourite chocolate syrup
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
• *24-28 chocolate Turtles
*You can buy the name-brand Turtles, but bulk food stores usually carry them as well. If you can’t find them, substitute some chocolate melts, a few pecans and a caramel square.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 176 degrees C. Line your muffin tin with liners.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
3. Scoop the batter into your cupcake liners with a spoon or ice cream scoop.
4. Bake for 26 minutes or until the center of the cupcake has just set. (I insert a barbeque skewer to check).
5. Take out the cupcakes, make a little hole in the center with a knife and insert a Turtle chocolate as far as the cupcake allows.
6. Bake for another 4 minutes.
7. Let the cupcakes cool thoroughly in the pan and then top with chocolate icing and optional toppings.
Optional Toppings: Caramel sauce, melted milk chocolate and small pieces of Turtles chocolates.
Pairs Well With
I created this recipe for a World Turtle Day (May 23rd) fundraiser.
Chocolate cupcakes with a sweet, chocolaty turtle center.