CHOCOLATE VELVET CAKE WITH COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING
- Servings: 8 1/2 cups
- * 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- * 1/2 cup butter, softened
- * 1 (16-ounce) package light brown sugar
- * 3 large eggs
- * 2 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1 teaspoon baking soda
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- * 1 cup hot water
- * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting Directions Follows:
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- * 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- * 1 1/2 cups sugar
- * 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- * 6 egg yolks
- * 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- * 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- * 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes. Remove from heat; add remaining ingredients, and stir until frosting is cool and of spreading consistency.
Melt semisweet chocolate morsels in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 30-second intervals until melted (about 1 1/2 minutes total time). Stir until smooth.
Beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer, beating about 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Gradually add 1 cup hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla. Use immediately, following directions for desired cake.
Website Credit: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=554766