- Cooking Time: 40-50 min
- Servings: 12-14
- Preparation Time: about 15-20 min
BackstoryThis is great served with whipped cream. Flavor improves if left to sit a day or two.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process) plus 3 tablespoons for dusting pan
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee (I used 3/4 c coffee & 3/4 c water)
- 1/2 cup American whiskey (I used 1/4 bourbon and 1/4 c Kahlua
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used White Lily winter wheat, sifted)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter bundt pan well, then dust with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, knocking out excess.
- Heat coffee, whiskey, butter, and remaining cup cocoa powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, whisking, until butter is melted. Remove from heat add sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool 5 minutes.
- While chocolate mixture cools, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl
- whisk into cooled chocolate mixture until combined well.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly).
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours.
- Loosen cake from pan using tip of a dinner knife, then invert rack over pan and turn cake out onto rack.
- This cake improves in flavor if made at least 1 day ahead and kept, in a cake keeper or wrapped well in plastic wrap, at cool room temperature. It can be made up to 5 days ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving