- Cooking Time: 40-50 min
- Servings: 12-14
- Preparation Time: about 15-20 min
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process) plus 3 tablespoons for dusting pan
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee (I used 3/4 c coffee & 3/4 c water)
- 1/2 cup American whiskey (I used 1/4 bourbon and 1/4 c Kahlua
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used White Lily winter wheat, sifted)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter bundt pan well, then dust with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, knocking out excess.
- Heat coffee, whiskey, butter, and remaining cup cocoa powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, whisking, until butter is melted. Remove from heat add sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool 5 minutes.
- While chocolate mixture cools, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl
- whisk into cooled chocolate mixture until combined well.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly).
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours.
- Loosen cake from pan using tip of a dinner knife, then invert rack over pan and turn cake out onto rack.
- This cake improves in flavor if made at least 1 day ahead and kept, in a cake keeper or wrapped well in plastic wrap, at cool room temperature. It can be made up to 5 days ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving
NotesThis is great served with whipped cream. Flavor improves if left to sit a day or two.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More