- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Candied Pistachios & Chocolate Topping
- 2/3 cup roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (this just helps the chocolate firm up)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the sugar. Once smooth, whisk in the egg, sour cream/yogurt, milk and vanilla extract. Stir the mixture until it is a smooth batter. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Spread the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Candied Pistachios & Chocolate Topping: Spread the pistachios out on a baking sheet layered with parchment paper. Mix together the hot water and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved, then toss the pistachios with the sugar liquid.
- Roast the nuts at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan and let the pistachios cool completely before breaking them apart and chopping them.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a doubler boiler or in the microwave. Once they are melted, stir in the coconut oil until it's melted.
- Remove the cake from the pan once it has cooled slightly and pour the chocolate over top of cake. Cover the chocolate with the chopped pistachios. Slice and serve!
NotesIt's almost healthy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More